Ph.D. (1974) University of Lyon I; Associate Professor (1991- ) Office H-1157 Phone
(514)848-3343; Fax (514)848-2868
PHYSICAL ORGANIC CHEMISTRY AND INDUSTRIAL CHEMISTRYE-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our research interests lie in the areas of Inorganic Materials (Porous Materials,Zeolites, composite Porous Materials), Heterogeneous
Catalysis, Petroleum and Natural Gas chemistry, Gases and Vapors Separation:|
* Pore Size Engineering in Zeolites by a novel technique called DRS (desilication,reinsertion,stabilization).Application to: Selective catalytic reactions (olefin production from paraffinic hydrocarbons, methanol-to-olefin,catalytic cracking) and selective separation processes(production of oxygen from air,para-xylene from its isomers mixture).
* Preparation of Zeolites with enhanced surface acid sites. Application to : production of methyl-tertbutyl ether and other ether-type octane number boosters ; alkylation of isobutane-light olefins for high grade gasoline production.
* Study of novel Trifunctional Catalysts (acid sites/dehydro-hydrogenation sites/de-adsorption-transfer promoting sites). Application to the hydro-isomerization of long chain paraffins for the production of high octane rating transportation fuels.
* Study of the new Catlever (Catalytic Lever) concept. Application to the deep cracking of petroleum naphthas for the production of light olefins.
* New Processes for deep catalytic Cracking.
* Method for the preparation of Composite Zeolite-Clay membranes and disks. Application to selective catalytic reactions and gas-phase separation processes.
Although our research projects are all oriented to industrial applications, we also examine fundamental aspects of the reactions of interest (mechanisms, kinetics, diffusion phenomena) and of the materials under development (chemical, textural, surface or bulk properties, as well as their chemistry of formation).
R. Le Van Mao, and M.A Saberi,"Catalysts for the Hydro-Isomerization of n-Heptane, prepared according to the concept of triangular site configuration", Applied Catalysis A: General, 199(1),99-107 (2000).
T.S. Le and R.Le Van Mao,"Preparation of Fluorinated-desilicated ZSM-5 Zeolite catalysts with high surface acidity", Microporous and Mesoporous Materials,34,93-97 (2000) .
R. Le Van Mao, T.S. Le, M. Fairbairn, A. Muntasar, S. Xiao and G. Denes, ´ ZSM5 zeolite with enhanced acidic properties ª, Applied Catalysis A : General, 185 (1), 41-52 (1999).
R.Le Van Mao, E. Rutinduka, C. Detellier, P. Gougay, V. Hascoet, S. Tavakoliyan, S.V. Hoa and T. Matsuura, ´ Mechanical and Pore characteristics of zeolite composite membranes ª, J. Materials Chemistry, 9 (3), 783-788 (1999). .
R. Le Van Mao, ´ Hybrid Catalysts containing a microporous zeolite and a mesoporous cocatalyst forming a pore continuum... ª,J. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 28(1), 9-17 (1999).
R.Le Van Mao and D. Ohayon, ´ Thermally stable ZSM5 zeolite materials with new microporosities ª, Proc. 12th International Zeolite Conference, ed. M.M.J. Treacy, B.K. Marcus, M.E. Fisher and J.B. Higgins, Materials Research Society, 3 , 1543-1551 (1999). .
R. Le Van Mao, M.A. Saberi, J.A. Lavigne, S. Xiao and G. Denes, ´ Hybrid Catalysts : internal/external configurations for better catalytic performances ? ª, in Recent Advances in Catalytic Materials, Materials Research Society, 497, 183-188 (1998).
R. Le Van Mao, T.S. Le, D. Ohayon, F. Caillibot, L. Gelebart and G. Denes, ´ Modification of the micropore characteristics of the desilicated ZSM5 zeolite by thermal treatment ª, Zeolites, 19 (4), 270-278 (1997).
R. Le Van Mao, J. Yao, L. Dufresne and Y. Yu, ´ Coke formation in hybrid catalysts used for the aromatization of low alkanes and alkenes ª, Applied Catalysis A : General, 164 (1), 81-89 (1997).
R. Le Van Mao, N. Borsuk, D. Ohayon, A. Ramsaran, T.S. Le and G. Denes, ´ Enhanced catalytic performances by desilication and subsequent steam treatment of ZSM5 zeolite ª, in Advanced Catalytic Materials III, Materials Research Society, 454 , 73-78 (1997).
A.Vaillancourt, G. Denes and R. Le Van Mao, ´ Reactivity of Chrysotile Asbestos in acids : mechanism of transformation to silicon dioxide hemihydrate upon leaching of magnesium ª, Proc. Materials Research Society, 453, 71-76 (1997).
R. Le Van Mao, J. Yao, L. Dufresne and R. Carli, ´ Hybrid Catalysts containing zeolite ZSM5 and supported gallium oxide in the aromatization of n-butane ª, in Gallium-loaded zeolites, ed. K. Dooley and G. Price, Catalysis Today, 31 , 247-255 (1996).
N. Serpone, H. Tahiri and R. Le Van Mao, ´ Application of concept of relative efficiencies and surface characterization of a new titania photocatalyst designed for environmental remediation ª, J. Photochem. Photobiol. A : Chemistry, 93 , 199-203 (1996).
Visitors to date